The new Invelox wind power generation technology from Sheerwind, a wind energy company from Minnesota, looks pretty amazing.
The company says that during tests, the turbine could generate six times more energy than the amount produced by traditional turbines mounted on towers.
Invelox takes a novel approach to wind power generation as it doesn’t rely on high wind speeds. Instead, it captures wind at any speed, even a breeze, from a portal located above ground. The costs of producing wind energy with Invelox are lower, delivering electricity at prices that can compete with natural gas and hydropower. This is good news for anyone who thinks wind energy is only for very windy areas such as the coast or beside large Lakes.
How does it work?
After the wind is captured it is funneled through a duct where it picks up speed. The resulting kinetic energy drives the generator on the ground level. SheerWind says that by bringing the airflow from the top of the tower, it’s possible to generate more power with smaller turbine blades.
It’s important to note that SheerWind makes the claim of sixfold output based on its own comparative tests, the precise methodology of which is not entirely clear.
We used the same turbine-generator (with a given load bank) and mounted it on a tower as is the case for traditional wind mills. We measured wind speed and power output. Then we placed the same turbine-generator system (subjected to the same load), again we measured free stream wind speed, wind speed inside the INVELOX, and power. Then we used the power-speed relationship over 5 to 15 days (depending on the test), and calculated energy in kWh. Six hundred percent more energy was for one of the days…the improvements in energy production ranged from 81 percent to 660 percent, with an average of about 314 percent more energy.
For any wind turbine application, that is a tremendous increase in efficiency.
Other benefits from the Invelox wind generator
- Reduced land use: INVELOX technology requires a much smaller footprint (90% less than traditional turbine generators). Towers used are shorter and smaller and have no moving parts, meaning lower installation and maintenance costs.
- Superior aesthetics: INVELOX uses a lower profile and a smart design, offering pleasing aesthetics for surrounding communities.
- Less noise: By eliminating the need for massive tower-mounted rotors, INVELOX significantly reduces the high energy and low frequency noise nuisance created by wind farms and eliminates the shadow flicker issue.
- No moving parts: INVELOX has little to no impact on wildlife, including bird migration.
- No radar interference: INVELOX turbines do not interfere with aviation and military radar systems, so they can be installed in areas inaccessible to traditional wind farms.
- Increased geographical possibilities: INVELOX can operate at wind speeds as low as 2 mph (cut-in wind speed), so areas unsuitable for traditional wind farming can be used for power generation.
- Reduced downtime: INVELOX’s enclosed turbine-generator system means less downtime and reduced costs associated with failure and repairs.
- Weather resistance: Because turbines are installed inside the INVELOX unit, they are not subject to harsh temperature variations or icing.
We’re looking forward to seeing what happens with the Invelox. Have you had experience with this product? Contact us and let us know.
See more: Invelox from Sheerwind